Heyo! This post dives into the Human Design authorities, aka the decision maker.
There are seven authorities:
- Emotional (Solar Plexus)
- Ego (Heart)
- Self-Projected (G)
- Environmental (sounding board; mental)
When you started working with your authority, it might’ve felt forced.
This post explores three misconceptions about Human Design authority and three troubleshooting tips for your authority.
(If you need to know your authority, I recommend using myBodygraph to generate your chart).
Misconception #1: Authority works alone
Let’s humanize strategy and authority.
Strategy and authority run a business together. Strategy’s strength is finding leads, while Authority shines in securing deals through business calls. Ultimately, Authority decides which leads he wants to work with.
Sometimes, it’s straightforward. Strategy emails a list of leads to authority, and the yes/no is clear.
Sometimes, they don’t agree. Strategy and authority debate back and forth, but the final decision goes to authority.
In Human Design terms, sometimes your authority gives an instantaneous, clear response. And sometimes, it needs to have a back-and-forth with your strategy to reach a conclusion.
I’ve heard clients complain that their authority doesn’t make sense.
Usually, it’s because the focus is placed so much on authority that what the strategy is saying becomes ignored.
So if you’ve struggled with the authority’s clarification, give the strategy a chance to helpuntil the authority is ready to provide an answer.
Misconception #2: You’re disconnected from your authority because it feels wrong
Authorities show up differently for everyone because of how centers (the shapes) work.
For example, a splenic (intuitive/instinctual) Projector might experience impulsiveness because her authority is connected to the root center (adrenaline, pressure) that shouts, “LET’S DO IT,” at every splenic yes.
Or an emotional Generator authority forces himself to “ride the emotional wave” because he feels he’s coming to conclusions too quickly.
I read all Human Design charts from my perspective (as I am designed).
Still, I dislike using words like fast or slow because it establishes an unfair baseline.
- Fast for one Projector could be hours, while slow for that same Projector could be 2-3 days.
- Fast for another Projector could be days, while slow for that same Projector could be 2-3 months.
You see how words that “fast” or “slow” or even “waiting” is all perspective? Forcing yourself to “go slower” or “move faster” taints your genuine relationship with your authority.
There’s a good chance you’re experiencing your authority correctly, but the comparison is stealing your trust.
Misconception #3: Using your authority with logical reasoning is a bad thing
This one’s tricky, especially for mental authorities and those who have a defined head and ajna center (defined mind). It’s impossible to turn off the brain while Human Design readers teach you that logic has no place (I’ve been guilty of this in the past).
Like strategy, logical reasoning is another informant sitting in authority’s round table.
I see logical reasoning as a computer. Computers can’t make decisions on your behalf (yes, that includes ChatGPT). Still, they can give you all the information to make your decision.
Using this information isn’t wrong or bad.
Below, you can find your authority and three troubleshooting tips for it.
- Your emotions don’t always bring the expected clarity. Think about how emotions and feelings work. It straddles a gray area – and that’s okay. It is like going to an optometrist – better one or better two? (And what was “better” one day could be “worse” the next).
- The dip doesn’t have to be depressing or painful. It can feel like the intensity has mellowed out.
- Emotions are personal. Some people cry several times daily (I’m looking at you, fellow Pisces moons), while others haven’t cried since childhood. Get to know your relationship with your feelings rather than compare how an emotion should feel.
- Sacral responses aren’t always immediate. I think of my Mani Gen children when it comes to sacral response. The sacral LOVES choices, so I’ll give them two-three options on what they’d like to eat. When deciding, they make a “hmmm” sound before the answer pops up. Give your sacral center space to hum their response out.
- It’s not always a voice. Yes, there’s “uh-huh,” and “nuh-uh,” but in the years I’ve read charts, most of my clients don’t even hear that! Since the sacral center is related to the reproductive system, I’ve had clients say they felt turned on/off as a response. Clients have felt muscles cramping (though not always in an unpleasant way) or thumping in their lower stomachs. The irony of telling you that your response is “uh-huh,” or “nuh-uh,” is that sacral authorities have been told their whole lives that they need to “use their words” and “stop talking like a child.” If Generators need to reconnect with their natural language, pigeoning you to a few grunts is weird.
- An exhausted sacral voice is a happy sacral voice. Yeah, it can be hoarse. It can stop talking because it’s tired. But at the end of the day, if you’re exhausted in a satisfied way, your sacral will regenerate for another day of activities.
- Health doesn’t mean the same thing for everyone, and quite frankly, there’s ableism in expecting green juice and exercise to be the standard for an apparent splenic hit. Though, yes, the healthier you are, the easier it is for your splenic to speak to you. Healthy needs to be on your terms. Health also works in phases – cutting sugar and alcohol can feel like a massive step towards health for one person. At the same time, veganism and yoga is someone else’s thing.
- Intuition and instinct can be tied to generational cycles. For example, if your lineage has experienced violence in a particular environment, your instincts could kick in to tell you to avoid it. Conversely, a lineage-based source of safety can tell you where to go. Human Design teaches that the splenic center is this automatic hit of HELL YES or HELL NO, but are intuition and instinct really that simple? Nope. It accompanies your splenic impact with a reason, story, and intuitive message.
- That said, yes, you CAN question your first impression of your splenic hit. You CAN ask yourself if the butterflies in your stomach are out of excitement or anxiety, which could also mean both. The splenic center is more complicated than we usually let on. So give it a chance to work with you rather than assuming it’s shouting over you.
Ego Manifested or Ego Projected Authority
- Many things can be worth fighting for, and you are designed to do so. General advice such as clearing your plate or being clear on one or two things you’re pursuing doesn’t always apply to you – though let me also say that this could conflict with other parts of your chart. That’s something a reading could pick out.
- You’re also allowed to be an asshole. All authorities are, but professional HD readers tend to specifically reassure ego authorities that it doesn’t always mean you’re an asshole. No one likes being stepped on or pushed aside for you, so you could go about it diplomatically… but at the end of the day, may the gods help the innocent person who tries to stop an ego authority that has sunk their teeth into a goal.
- We don’t tell ego authorities enough that their authority speaks clearer when their self-esteem and sense of self-worth are healthy – and this has NOTHING to do with outside perception. Look at what I wrote in #2. I could tell you you’re an asshole, but that’s MY opinion. People can tell you that “you think you’re better than everyone else” or other projections, but do your thing at the end of the day. Your authority is pulling you in that direction. If you’re confident that it’s right for you, let no one stop you.
- You don’t always have to listen to people. You should have that boundary in place that you’re not open to suggestions, especially when frustrated loved ones want to override your talkactive authority because they want to help. Thanking them and going in a different direction isn’t disrespect.
- Talking at people is fine. Piggybacking on #1, you don’t have to have conversations. I often tell my partner that I want to talk to him because I don’t want to be alone when I’m talking, but I don’t necessarily want his thoughts.
- Also, you’re not a hypocrite. Having a rambly authority means starting with one decision and ending with another. At least once per day, I open my Doordash account and say I want to eat [something specific]. Twenty minutes later, I usually say that none of these places are worth the price, and I’ll cook something. My final decision completely went against my original intention, but it is what it is.
- The other authorities are felt internally. Mental authority is felt externally, but despite the name, it’s only sometimes in the mind. Like emotions, thoughts are usually all over the place. When you think you’ve put the pieces together, another part of the information pulls you away. Allow yourself to make decisions and change them as you take in more of your environment.
- Talk it out. It doesn’t have to be at another person, but it’s okay if you take that route, too. Mental authority can be like echolocation, you verbalize something, and it bounces back to you. The answer can feel or sound different.
- Rubbing your eyes in frustration because the answer isn’t coming is common. Think about yourself as a detective. Collecting evidence, putting all the pieces out there, muttering to yourself or your trusted team, and feeling overwhelmed are part of the process. Give yourself the grace to know that answers are subject to change.
- Your type is the only type that can experience every other type. So when you’re in the presence of a Generator, you step into their energy in a way unique from different types. You’re the only lunar type (all other types are solar types) reflecting those around you. Because of this, you can tap into the authorities of other types to inform your decision-making process, though let’s be clear that you do not use their authority.
- Lunar cycles don’t have to be linear. For example, you could plan a wedding by pinning your vision on a Pinterest board. You might’ve started pinning meals but put it down to focus on decor. Three months later, you go back to pinning meals. So, three lunar cycles have passed. You don’t have to restart the lunar timing just because time has passed. And know that many of your decisions are probably thought of well ahead of time. Suppose you want to write a book for several years. In that case, you don’t have to mull over the decision when an opportunity presents itself. You’ve already dreamed this process over time (though your lunar cycle will want to ensure the publisher is healthy and aligned with your vision).
- If you menstruate, synchronizing your menstruation cycle can be another way you honor your lunar cycle. I recommend the book, In the Flo for more information on cycle syncing.
Tune it in 🙏🏼
I hope that helped. If you’d like to see how this works alongside your Human Design type, check out this post about misconceptions about Human Design types.
P.S. If you love my blog posts and want to be notified of more, subscribe below. I also share my courses, readings, and products as they come out (and I rarely promote them on social media), so this is the best place to keep in touch with me.